Wednesday 6 July 2011

In Memoriam: Morney Wilson


Morney Shayne Wilson was born on April 3, 1969 in Scotland. She studied at Fortismere School and graduated in English Literature from the University of Sussex. She worked as an administration officer at Middlesex University.  Morney's poems featured on several websites before her collection of poems was published as I Am The Blast From Your Past. The singer/songwriter Barry Crawford has set several of her poems to music in albums produced as The Morney Set (2008) and Morn (2011), some first included in her posthumous poetry collection Martyr Doll.  Her prose has been collected in the volume Remains, both of these along with a compilation of The Recordings are being published here for the first time.  Morney Wilson died in London in November 2010.  4 of her poems have been published in Plath Profiles 4, the interdisciplinary journal for Sylvia Plath studies.  She was very excited about their being accepted just before her death:
The window is starless still; the clock ticks,
The page is printed.

Ted Hughes. 'The Thought-Fox'.


The Pink Room

Where I am safe.

When you get to the pink room
do not forget to leave her
a rose.

I want her to know
we have remembered the pink room,
I want her to remember me.

I dreamt of the pink room last
night, of a time when it kept me safe,
a time when it kept her safe.

The pink room is hidden from view
now, has been stripped bare of the
lilac, the silver – someone
I will never know has carelessly
splashed blue paint over my memories.

If you should go to the pink room,
you know you will see me there.
I never could leave the pink room –
remember to leave me a rose.

From Martyr Doll.  Edited by Rehan Qayoom, (2011).

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much Rehan. Your wonderful gesture will not be forgotten and Morney Wilson will live on because of it. Baz

    ReplyDelete